Date: 19 Sep 2018
The original bolt top 037 batteries are no longer available from regular distributors. Type 037 batteries have square pin, bolt on terminals.
After a few years (usually 10 years or so) batteries no longer hold their charge and become a liability.
Quite simple really, car either struggles to start or fails to start.
Various ‘witch doctor’ battery testers are available. A discharge tester, for example, usually kills and already dying battery, save your money and just buy a new battery.
Conversion to the 038 round pillar battery is really simple.
Purchase from eBay a pair of Ford battery convertors.
To replace battery:
- Unbolt the earth terminal and disconnect
- Unbolt the live terminal and disconnect
- Release the battery clamp (1/2 inch AF if original)
- Lift out the old battery
- Insert the new battery
- Replace the clamp and tighten
- Lightly smear each post with battery grease
- Reconnect the live terminal using an adaptor
- Reconnect the earth terminal using an adaptor
- Smear grease lightly over the new clamps and bolts to prevent future corrosion
Type 037/4 bolt post battery
Type MF038 round post battery
Battery shelf to battery clamp
Tighten the bolt 9/16 AF to clamp new battery securely to battery shelf.
New battery installed
Approximate prices from: 19 Sep 2018